Saturday, September 11, 2010

GNP



Nope, that is not Gross National Product but it could be. I just got back from a lovely trip to Glacier National Park. ABSOFRICKINLUTELYLOVELY!!!!!! I went with my favorite sister Ellen (I only have one sister...that I know about...my father was in the military). We spent four nights camped at Apgar, our favorite campground in the park. This trip we spent a lot less time driving around and more time relaxing, though we did drive up to Logan Pass and to Polebridge, and to Kintla Lake. I learned something very important. Chevy Aveos are not suited for the Kintla Lake Road. But we made it anyway with Ellen keeping the screaming to a minimum. Kintla Lake was beautiful and amazing. I really want to go back there with my canoe. The bakery at Polebridge was wonderful as always. Lake McDonald perfection, Avalance gorge stunning. It did not rain on us the first night or the first full day, but then it cut loose and rained most of the rest of the time. One afternoon after getting drenched at Avalance Gorge and the cedar grove we drove to Whitefish for dinner. Our favorite spot is McKenzie River Pizza. Good shit. I still smell like garlic.

Even though it was rainy and the clouds were low we hit up Logan Pass and Going to the Sun road before we left the park. The clouds swirling and dancing around the tops of the mountains was breathtaking. Tendrils of mist were sweeping up the valley, hitting the tops of the mountains and then dissipating on the other side of the divide. While my sister was sensible and sat in the car away from the snow and sleet I took a stroll up the Hidden Lake trail. I was just going to walk around on the little paved path but was pulled higher and higher. For a long time I was the only person around. I had a weird thought. If you climb Mt. Everest (or K2...whichever one is really higher), there is no more up on the whole planet. That is it. I wonder if those folks then get bored or don't give a shit about some hokey little hilltop in the Ozarks. Or Logan Pass. I would hate for that to happen to me. But then again I am pretty sure I am not climbing in the Himalayas.

So here are some pictures. I am just going to slap them on in no order but they are from the drive to Polebridge/Kintla, Lake McDonald, Avalanche Gorge, and Logan Pass.










































1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey that tree has an amazing nose. I bet it could sniff a skunk at least 400 yds away. Beautiful pictures.
love ya,
Kat

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free counter
free counter