Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Urban Wildlife

For the past couple of weeks Walter and I have been going to close places after I get off work (i.e. unpaid internship) and going for little walks. These are really local places such as Dishman Hills and Riverside State Park. But, I have seen some cool stuff (though have no pictures to show for it). We saw at least five deer one evening at Dishman Hills, one of them a big huge four point buck). Another night we were walking along the trail and there was this woman walking along brushing her teeth. She was not wearing shoes. She told me it was a nice place to brush. I kept walking...quickly.

Along the Spokane River I watched an Osprey leave a nest, fly down to the water, catch a fish, and then keep flying around in circles for about five minutes before returning to the nest with the catch. The only thing I can think of is that the Osprey was waiting for the fish to die so it would not flop out of the nest. I dunno. Tonight Walter and I were stalked by a domestic feline at Dishman. It was a very nice looking cat. That is the first time I have ever seen one there. Another first thing for me there was seeing Indian Paintbrush growing along the trail.

I am not sure what our plans are for the next month or so. I spent last Saturday putting new brake calipers on my Festiva and bleeding the brakes (I had absolutely no idea how to do it but Les Schwab wanted over $200 to fix it and I was not going for that). Man, I am just so amazed by how easy this car repair shit is that they charge you hundreds of dollars for. Ok, yeah, I had to get advice from my neighbor the mechanic because my new caliper came with extra parts, but I would have figured it out on my own anyway. And yeah, I had to have some car guys diagnose the problem but they did it for free. So the economical car is fixed but I am low on funds and the house sitter is in Mexico for a week. I actually have a four day weekend. The supervisor for my internship is on vacation and he told me I could take a couple of days off because he thinks I rock. I have been working pretty darn hard. I even had to call doctors today and put my foot down to a mucky muck about something that could potentially cause me to lose my license if I had one. But anyway, I am having the internal struggle of working on my house (I need to build a new shed and have lots of scrap lumber and tons of other half finished projects because I have ADD) or going out for a hike...or two...or three. I will not know until I head out the door. So come back later and find out what in the hell I have been up to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free counter
free counter