Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Too damn hot


It has been too damn hot out to do much of anything. Walter told me that if I tried to get him out hiking in three digit temperatures he would finish eating the rest of my socks. I have been too hot to even sit in front of the computer. But, to get a reprieve from the really hot weather the other day (the bank said it was 108 at 12:30pm), I did hit the river for a little paddle and a swim.

The Spokane River is really an incredible resource and so many parts of it are just beautiful. I grew up on the banks of the Mississippi and used to swim in it when I was a kid. Now I just cannot believe that I put any part of my body in that water. When I go there now, the water is hot and dirty, and not just with the famous Mississippi mud. My sister had a friend who went swimming in the river a few years ago and when he got out he had leaches all over him. Yeah, just like The African Queen. When I look at the Spokane River it is such a contrast to the Mississippi. The water is clear and cold, yet I fear it is just as polluted; not with industrial waste like the Mississippi, but with mining waste and urban complacency. I have seen signs along the river warning pregnant women to not eat the fish. Last week the water treatment plant spilled raw sewage into the river. It makes me sad.

But at any rate, pollution or not, I still find myself drawn to the river. It is one of the things about Spokane that I find so beautiful and amazing. A good place for flatwater paddling is above the Upriver Dam on Upriver Drive. This is a pretty popular area with the Centennial Trail and Boulder Beach. Because there is no public boat launch on this part of the river (and I hope there never will be), only the private land owners have boats, and yeah, a lot of jet skis.

I park my car on the south side of Upriver Drive just west of Boulder Beach. There are several spots right along the trail where you can park. If you see a stone platform in the water, you know you have the right spot. If you park on the trail though, you will get a ticket (my friend Andrea got one there). Along the trail, there are many little paths down to the water and you have to carry your boat. That is ok with me though.

Before I got in the kayak I had to take a swim. The water was pretty cold and actually felt colder than Lake CdA felt a few weeks before. Upstream around Sullivan Road there are lots of springs that flow into the river and I think that helps cool it off a bit. In this part of the river, there is virtually no current and it is more like a lake.

I paddled up past Boulder Beach where there were lots of folks trying to cool off. There is a big pine tree that has a rope and lots of folks swing into the river and also jump off the big rocks there. Past the beach the houses start and continue on both sides of the river to Argonne. There is one house that has a slide going from their deck down to the river. It has spots for three butts. What fun. Most all the residents have boats and while I was paddling there were quite a few jet skis out. I get irritated with the jet skis, but the truth is this...if I had a place on the water and money to burn, I would have a jet ski too. They are pretty darn fun. BUT IT WOULD BE A QUIET JET SKI AND I WOULD NOT TAKE PLEASURE IN SEEING HOW CLOSE I COULD BUZZ TO THE CHICK IN THE YELLOW KAYAK. Yup, I was being pestered by some snottty nosed teenage girls who thought it was really funny to get as close to my boat as possible. Curse them and their future generations.

About a half mile past the Argonne bridge is an area known as The Islands. There are a few islands there depending on the amount of water in the river. They are pretty cool and there are big gravel beaches just perfect for swimming. I got out here and swam for a bit. By this time, even with the water around me, it was still pretty hot so I headed back to Boulder Beach, pretty much just taking my time. By paddling on the south shore of the river I was able to stay pretty much out of the sun. Between Argonne and the Islands there are skads of huge old willow trees that hang over the river and it is really pretty.

When I got back towards where I put in, the spot along the river had been taken over by a bunch of kids so I got out a bit farther down. The entire road was packed with cars and I got a lot of funny looks as I ambled along the Centennial Trail with a big 16 foot kayak on my shoulder. Oh well.

The next week is going to be a pretty busy time for me. I have had company in town, my room mate is moving out, and my mom and sister are coming for a visit. We are going to Glacier Park for a week and I am really looking forward to it.

In another note, I have purchased a newer vehicle that promises to be more reliable than the Festiva. My room mate has been trying to sell her Blazer for $2300 for the past few months so she can unburden herself before she goes to Germany. I offered her $800 for it and in her desperation she took it. So what this means, is that after my mom and sister leave, I will be getting on with my 50x50 list. I had one mechanic and one car-guy friend check the Blazer out and they both think it is a great vehicle.

The pictures, top to bottom are: my kayak in the water; looking towards the rocks and the rope swing; looking back towards Beacon Hill and where I put into the river; the house with the cool slide; sharing the river with motor boats; a nice spot on one of the islands.
free counter
free counter