Monday, July 27, 2009

Backpacking self discovery

Nancy and the boys getting ready to hit the trail


It has been several years since I have been on a backpacking trip. Backpacking has always been a huge love for me. After 16 years I finally got Nancy to accompany me on a trip to see the wonders and joys of carrying your stuff into the wilderness and living a minimalist life for a few days. I did, however, discover something about myself. I no longer enjoy backpacking.


Let me explain. I love the hiking. I don't mind the heavy pack...well, I mind it a bit more than I used to. I love the cooking not-so-hot meals on a one burner stove under the canopy of trees with no one else around. I love being able to strip off my clothing and jump bare ass naked into a freezing lake. All of this is over shadowed by missing really cushy sleeping mats and chairs. My body no longer enjoys sitting on the ground. I can't get comfortable enough to enjoy my book.


My hips hurt, my shoulders hurt, I can't sleep...


I never thought it would come to this.


Here is what happened. Since it was Nancy's first trip (first of many I was hoping), we strapped on the packs and hiked to the top of Upper Priest Lake. I figured that would be a good one for her; six miles with only one serious hill at the very end. The walk was great. Walter and Elliot went with us. It went downhill from there. Neither of us slept. We were on the light weight thermarest pads. They are expensive and not cushy enough for middle age. We wanted to sit on the beach and read and relax but it was impossible to get comfortable. I remembered the extra sleeping pads and folding chairs in the box on top of my car. We discussed our plight and decided to tough it out. The lake was beautiful and no one else was around. It was peaceful and quiet. Then I looked at Walter and (freshly shaved) he was shivering even though he had a sweater on. It was pretty darn cold for July. We simultaneously decided we needed to save his life and sacrifice our time in the wilderness to make him comfortable. The upper lake has its own climate. It is a lot wetter and colder. So we packed up, hiked out (me messing up the IT band in my left leg again), and went to Reeder Bay and paid for a spot overlooking the lower lake. It was noisy, crowded, and expensive but we were warm as we watched the jet skiers from our lawn chairs. Oh, and there were 5 jillion less mosquitoes.


The revised plan. When we want to camp away from other folks we are going to pack up our canoe with all of our luxury items and find some lovely beach on one of the many lakes we have around us. I mean, we have a bloody 19 foot tripping canoe. Last time we went for a weekend we took our big tent, a bbq grill, big cooler, cushy sleeping mats, big sleeping bags, the deluxe camp stove, a table and chairs and two dogs. Sounds a lot more comfortable, huh?




Elliot showing off his form



Cool old cabin




The beautiful upper lake



The upper lake again







Nancy and Elliot attempting to get comfortable (note the stocking cap and long sleeves)


A huge blowdown

The actual camping (Navigation) area with bear box in the back left


Walter walking through the big blowdown area. Some say it was a tornado.

Reeder Bay: ok, this is more like it


Still life with Elliot


On a hike along the Lakeshore trail


Mama in the water

Poodles on guard





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free counter
free counter