Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Weather Buffet

Walter and I just got back from a quick trip to Idaho. We rented a cabin at Farragut State Park and blew off a bit of steam. We had no trouble relaxing. The cabins are tiny and bare. The ones at Priest Lake and Heyburn have microwaves in them so that is what I prepared for. I was wrong. I was desperate for something warm to eat last night so we drove into Athol to the pizza place. I was actually just going to settle for mini mart food but we found the KKJ pizza shop. It was a good dinner and breakfast. The worst part was that I did not have any hot coffee. We did a fair bit of hiking around. Most of the trails near the lake are pretty free of snow, but the ones higher still have quite a bit, though not too hard to walk on in just boots. The weather was a bit of everything: sun, wind, snow, rain, and a totally clear sky last night with bitterly cold temps. During one of my nocturnal trips to pee outside (no bathroom or running water) I heard an owl hooting at the same time I saw a shooting star. That was cool. We saw lots of deer and even more deer poo, watched a hawk search for dinner in a field, Walter was tormented by the ground squirrels that mocked him and then ran down their holes before he could get there, and had our first encounter with a skunk. I did not actually see the skunk but I could certainly smell it. I could see the tall brush moving around about 10 feet away from us. So here are some pictures of our trip and then some of snowshoeing last week. The first picture is of Walter sleeping next to me on the double bunk bed in the cabin.


Our little cabin sort of in the woods
Happy, happy Walter
A view across the bay
Sunset on the mountains
Sunset and the passing storm clouds


Walter napping during a snow picnic

A six to eight foot tall root ball with snow on top


Tree branches and moss in my face


Cedar Tree

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free counter
free counter