Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Urban Skiing


Wow, we have a TON of snow coming down. There was 7 inches in the parking lot when I left work at 5 and it has been non-stop since around 7 this morning. Tonight I went for a ski around the neighborhood just for fun. It was about 2 1/2 miles. I skied on the streets from my house to Liberty Park and then got on the Ben Burr trail, an old light rail bed, to Underhill Park. I was going to ski down the big hill and then back to my house but I started down the hill and it was too scary. I got my ski caught in some branches on the ground and fell over. I trudged back up the hill and went back on the trail and skied down the Altamont hill on the sidewalk. It was a blast. I had my headlamp but did not use it because it was so light out. I might have to ski to work tomorrow. That might be fun. The forcast is for at least a foot of snow. I love it. I have been more than ready for some skiing and snowshoeing. I finally bit the bullet and bought some new snowshoes. I think I left my old ones sitting next to or on top of the car in Idaho and drove off without them. Someone got a really nice pair of MSR snowshoes. I am anxious to use them. Nancy and I are planning on spending Christmas day in the mountains so I am sure I will have some pictures then. Aside from the snow today, we have had bitterly cold temps below zero and in the single digits. It always sucks to to be in a 121 year old house when it is that cold. I tore walls and floors out when I bought it and put in new insulation and windows, but keeping the plumbing from freezing is always a challenge because there is a very small basement and most of the house is above a crawl space. But, hopefully it will not last too long. It is a balmy 15 degrees at the moment. Feels like a heat wave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free counter
free counter