Sunday, March 30, 2014

Singular

For 13 years Walter has been my camping buddy.  This is the first trip outside of National Parks where he is not allowed, that I was without him.  As I stated in my eulogy I wanted to take some of his ashes to cool places.  This weekend we went camping at Steamboat Rock State Park near Grand Coulee.

I really wanted to hike to the top and release some of his ashes there.  But...



The trail does not stay looking this nice.  It goes right up the side of the cliff.  It looks just fine from here though.

Yup, that is it on the left


I thought perhaps I was going the wrong way BECAUSE MY MAP WAS IN THE CAR!!!!  I just got to a point that I was worried about having to come down.  Later I learned that if I would have gone up another 10 feet it would have been ok.  Even though I have MedStar coverage through work does not mean I want to use it.  I will save it for another time.

So then I went back down and started following (or not) some trails around the east and north of the rock.  There was no one around.  It was so quiet and a couple times I got down close to the water.  I just kept going, over rocks, through the sand, up and over lots of little landslides.  This is my first buttercup of the year!


The trail is just to the left and ends at the sand-slide

Then I found this spot.  It was as far as I could go without magic.  It was beautiful.  It was here that I shared a bit of Walter with the earth.  I sat for about 10 minutes crying and smelling the sagebrush.  It was very odd getting ready to come on this trip without him following me through the house and barking orders.  After a bit I turned around and went back more of an off trail route.

This, however, was along a trail.  How many people have walked past it?  How long ago did they quit making these kinds of pull-tabs?  Well, it's gone now.

The promontory in the middle of the photo is where I left some of Walter's ashes...right on the tippy top.

I got back in time as the skies looked like they were going open up with full force.  And they did.  I slept in the suburban but had to cook outside.  I also had to have the window down to run my extension cord in.  I was doing some posh camping.  All hell really broke loose after this photo.

So then I did this as the wind rocked the suburban.  That's my space heater on the milk crate (I used it off and on the first night), my tablet that is playing a documentary about Queen Elizabeth, my feet in REI socks, a bra, and my middle of the night potty.  It just makes things easier.

One of my home dehydrated meals: chili with peas

Sunset after the storm

The next morning I got my ass up early and headed to the Northrup Canyon trail head.  It was a truly magical hike.  A dry desert canyon with pine forests, a old homestead and steep canyon walls that look down over an amazing gouge in the earth.

Beginning of the canyon.  Everywhere I looked was fabulous.  I love the dry desert with her crazy rocks and canyons.

Massive 1920's can dump.  It went on forever. 

A cool spot in the forest

I was also field testing some new gear.  This is my homemade backpack.  It is built after the Gossamer Gear G4.  It is super light weight and so far so good. 

It uses a Z light pad for the frame and at night you just take it out and sleep on it.  I have a few modifications I want to do with it but I really liked using it.

Looking back

Crazy rocks

Northrup Ranch.  I think the newer building on the right was once the park headquarters.

This might have been the original home.  I think they settled her in the late 1880s or early 1900s.

Several buildings were made with log construction.

Make sure you are up to date on your tetanus shot!

Looking down-canyon from the ranch

Gigantic water barrel held together with wires.  They most likely had a pump from the creek or underground to pull water up into the tank for storage.

The barrel was in this building at the top of the hill.

I was just wanting to hike to the ranch but decided to climb higher up.  I am glad I did.  It was a labyrinth of rock that just kept going up and up and up.


Looking back down towards the ranch area.

More up!

Northrup lake is off just to the right and down a bit.  I was more interested in getting to the top of the canyon than to the lake.

Then I found another spot to share Walter's ashes.  The wind was fierce and took it away in an instant.

Hard to tell but I had really walked quite a ways from the ranch.

Bitter-root!!!!!

Ducked off the trail into the woody part for some quiet.  The wind was howling down the canyon and this gave my ears and eyes a break.  It was a great place to sit for a bit...and of course pee before going up the hill to the trail head.

Steamboat Rock across Banks Lake.  I will get you next time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

what a beautiful place. Wish I could have been there with you. mom

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free counter
free counter