Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Quick Camping Trip


Since school has started back I have had very little time to get out and do much and less time to sit and post pictures (hey, I still have dial-up). Walter and I have had some small little hikes at Riverside State Park and Dishman Hills, but little new since Wapaloosie. We did, however, take a quickie camping trip two weeks ago to Farragut State Park in Idaho.

I had very little time or patience to drive somewhere far away and most of the Forest Circus campgrounds are closed right now. There are a few places that I like to either hike or drive into that are not established campgrounds but the hunters have pretty much taken over the world, so we (we being me and Walter) decided a state park was a pretty safe place to not get shot.

I have had two experiences at Farragut and both of them were less than ideal. It is on Lake Pend Oreille which is the biggest lake in Idaho. Therefore, it is a fucking circus on summer weekends...filled with big RV's and party boats and jet skis. One summer Nancy and I went there for a weekend and there was this huge party of really drunk people camped across from us. They were terrible. The sheriff even came out but they did not stop. The next morning, after they had taken their drunken asses out in their big boats, we walked over to their camp to just have a look around. Ok, I am not a vindictive person, but it was just too tempting given the sleepless night we had just had. There were a bunch of half consumed beer bottles lying around so...well...we emptied the bottles on their sleeping bags. Ok, it was evil, but it was fun and right now I am smiling about it. Farragut is also a great place to take a pack of ten year old girls which we also did one year for Morgan's birthday (I think I still am suffering from PTSD from that weekend). It is that kind of place...not the place where you would go for solitude and silence. But, the first weekend in October is not too bad. Only the hardy and foolish seem to camp that time of year, and Walter and I are both.

I had a test to study for that week so it worked out great. I took my books and some beer and was able to have the best of both worlds (I got a 100% on the test by the way). I pretty much studied the first afternoon I was there and then we did a small walk down to the lake before taking off the next morning. I am planning on going back this weekend, but I am leaving my books at home. Hopefully I will have some pictures of a hike or two to share (evidently there are over 90 miles of trails in the park). In the meantime, here are pictures of our little camping spot and then one of Walter chewing on this absolutely huge and obscene cow bone. He is so spoiled.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

That cow bone IS obscene!!!

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free counter
free counter