Friday, December 22, 2006

A Sunrise Kick and Glide


Wow, yesterday morning I went back up to Mt. Spokane for an early morning cross country ski. I thought the ski trails were open at 6:00am but it is really 8:00 am. I talked to a little ranger Rick guy in the lodge though and he said that on mornings when they do not have to plow it is no big deal, but if you are there before 8:00 on a plow morning it is like a $140 ticket. Whew!

I got up there just as the sun was coming up. I skied to the Nova Hut, lit a fire in the stove, drank some water, and was off for a few more kilometers of fun. The snow was really icy and I could not believe how many trees had fallen from our intense wind storm of a few days before. I had not been on my cross country skis in a couple of years and it took me a bit to get into the swing of it. After I skied on some other trails, I headed back to the Nova Hut for breakfast and to warm up a bit. Though it was cold, it was not nearly as cold as the previous snowshoe adventure. Walter of course did not get to go with me as the X-C trails are closed to dogs. In all, I did about 6 miles. I picked up a registration form for the Langlauf ski race in February which I am damned and determined to do this year. I was home by 2 and able to get a nap before our choir dress rehearsal. A reporter from the Spokesman Review was there and there was an article and picture in the paper today, with yours truly standing there with my mouth open. We had our performance tonight and it was amazing. I think the human voice is the most incredible instrument. I even wore make-up. Of course, I had to have a 17 year old fix it for me after I got there. Kudos, Sparky!

I am not planning on working for the next few days so I am going to head up to Lookout Pass on the Idaho-Montana border tomorrow for some downhill skiing. They have Boomer Fridays and anyone over the age of 40 can ski for $16. Can't beat that!!!!!

Pictures from top to bottom: Mt. Spokane in the early morning light, looking toward the sunrise by the Selkirk Lodge, a distant view of the Mountain from a trail, the tree that fell about 8 feet away from the Nova Hut. God, I love this part of the country!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free counter
free counter