Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Adventures at the PEC

Tonight Walter paid another visit to the Pet Emergency Clinic. I returned home this evening from my birthday dinner and knew within about one minute that something was wrong with him. He jumped up on me without an invitation then within five minutes was walking around panting and restless. I knew that his stomach must be bloated and if left too long, the stomach twists and cuts off blood to the liver and other organs. An x-ray was done within five minutes of getting in the clinic door and he indeed had a bloated stomach and intestines. This is about the 5th time we have been through this. The first time we were driving from Spokane to Illinois and we were in Iowa. I was driving and on the phone with my vet here who was trying to find a vet in Des Moines and Walter was in agony in the back seat of my truck. I was afraid that he was going to die on me before I even got to the vet. Walter was just 3 months old at the time. The bloating is usually the result of him eating something, but not always. The bloating and gastric torsion is very common in deep chested dogs and poodles are especially prone to it. If the stomach twists the dog will die within a half hour.

Because of his history I have decided to have surgery done on him tomorrow. There is a wonderful board certified dog surgeon in town who will do it. The surgery will involve looking for any foreign matter in his stomach and intestines and then tacking his stomach to his abdominal cavity. This will prevent it from twisting if he bloats again in the future (which he probably will). The potential for the gastric torsion is always banging around in the back of my head when Walter and I are out and far from a town.

Last night I found out that one of his other brothers has died. Cosmo was hit by a train last July. Someone left a gate open at his house. His twin Jake (yes, they were honest to goodness twins out of the same sac) died about two years ago. I was thinking last night about the possibility of losing Walter. I have had other dogs before that I have been absolutely in love with that I lost. One to old age, two to cancer, and one to an intestinal blockage from eating a tennis ball. I have never been bonded to a dog like I am Walter. The morning after his birth we rushed him to PEC because he was not eating or responsive. He was the first one born of seven in an almost 8 hour labor. He ended up chilled and was close to death. I ended up keeping him in my shirt and feeding him with a bottle for two days until he was strong enough to nurse. I had no intention of keeping any of the puppies but after that I just could not part with him. So in the morning he will have his surgery and then hopefully we can bring him the next day. And of course a huge thank you goes out to Nancy who is funding the procedure (oh, am I gonna pay for this one).

Aside from the drama and trauma of the night I have had some very good stuff happen the last few days. I had a job interview last Friday at a place I really want to work. It is only a mile from my house and I can walk or ride my bike every day. I got the hours I wanted and the pay I asked for but never expected to get. I will be working 4 ten hour shifts and have three days off in a row during the middle of the week. I am planning on spending a lot of time camping with Walter this summer. Being off in the middle of the week promises more solitude on the trails and in the campgrounds. And I will have money for gas!!!!!!!! I might even have some funds left after I get my head above water to hit the ski slopes before the snow melts. Nancy has more or less moved in with me so now it is my turn to have some freedom. Hell, I held the homestead together while she was in Mexico for two years. I deserve it.

So I will update on Walter's progress. Maybe throw in a picture or two of his stitches. Keep your fingers crossed and your good mojo flowing Walters way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free counter
free counter