Sunday, January 13, 2008

Up in the Sick Room

This week, in addition to Walter's drama I have also been really sick. It started last weekend with the typical cold sort of thing. By Thursday it had moved from my face to my throat and I could hardly talk. I sounded like a cross between Bart Simpson and Phyllis Diller. Not pretty, especially when I had to spend my days talking. Now it has moved into my lungs. In the desire to make sure I am able to go to work each day this week, Walter and I hung out in my bedroom and watched TV and napped all day. I don't have cable so normally my TV choices suck, but PBS had a good line-up today. Walter also had a pretty good day. He is eating small amounts of canned food throughout the day and has shown no indication of feeling sick. His pain patch came off tonight. I am going to keep the pain meds on board for a couple more days. I am no longer fearing that I will wake up and find him dead. His incision looks pretty good but I am going to have to keep an eye on the red spots. I think those are just razor burns from being shaved around his winkie.


This is my last week of my internship. I am darn excited. It has been one hell of a long road getting to this point with many occasions of wanting to just quit. It has been almost four years since Morgan died. I look back and cannot believe that I was able to keep my head above water for most of the time. The first year was of course very difficult, then Nancy and Seth left the country and I was all alone. I somehow knew that I had to keep plugging away because I didn't have much of anything else going for me. I did not want to go back to archeology and I knew I wanted more than a NAC job. There sure were a lot of mornings when I had to use every thing I had to get out of bed and get to class.


I will be starting my new job sometime around the first of February, or whenever my temp license comes in from the state. I am just about to step into the light at the end of the tunnel and it feels pretty damn good. I am also thankful that Walter is ok and I did not have to make a decision to have him put to sleep because of financial reasons. I did that with my dog Truman and I have regretted it ever since. He was indeed a lovely dog; big 110 pound white shepherd. He and Walter were learning to hike together on a leash. They were pretty good friends and Truman taught Walter to pee with his leg up. You can't ask for more than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free counter
free counter